Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"Yums," Cause it's Been a While!

I was just throwing a batch of spinach nuggets into the oven and realized that it's been a really long while since I posted a "yum," or an easy recipe that Chloe (and I think other toddlers) might enjoy!  So, I've got a couple for you, and they both go under the category: "everything but the kitchen sink." 

Do you ever have a bunch of miscellaneous items in your fridge---leftovers, a little of this and that, etc. that you don't want to throw out, but at the same time, you can't really figure out how to use the on their own?  I'm sure if you, in fact, own a fridge, that you do find yourself in this situation from time to time. 

Here was my particular sitch: on New Years Eve, we had our 2nd Annual Fondue Fest with our friends, the Mallons, so we had a bunch of leftover cut-up veggies.  Right now, LB's favorite favorite FAVORITE thing to eat is soup, which she lovingly calls, "poop."  Sweet.  And I do love to give it to her, because, although she loves most things, I can get her to eat a couple of veggies that she might otherwise be picky about.  I figured that maybe I could use the veggies and other items in my fridge to make something yummy and warm...here it is:

"Whatever-You-Have-Left-in-the-Fridge" Soup

2 large chicken breasts (the ones I used were even still a little frozen)
Cut-up veggies (I had broccoli, cauliflower, onions and potatoes)
Frozen corn
Cooked whole grain pasta (I used a couple of different kinds to use up some leftover boxes)
1 jar of tomato sauce (my fav is Francesco Rinaldi, Sweet and Tasty Tomato)*
Variety of spices

*I used sauce to flavor the broth because it was what I had left in the fridge, ahem, as you may remember from the name of the soup.  You could very well use chicken broth instead, as my mom does!

Warning: these directions are not very technical, but if I could figure it out, anyone can do it!  I filled a large soup pot 1/2 way with water and boiled the chicken breasts.  When they were done, I took them out and threw the cut-up veggies and corn into the boiling water, boiling them for about 10 minutes or until tender.  While the veggies were boiling, I shredded the chicken breasts.  When the veggies were done, I added the chicken and sauce and added some spices (thyme, salt, pepper, garlic powder) and then put the cooked pasta in the soup.  Served it with Bisquick biscuits, and it was a hit!


The next little item is another "throw a bunch of things together" fruit salad that Chloe likes to have for breakfast. 

Throw-a-Bunch-of-Things-Together Fruit Salad

(This is what I've used, but you can use ANY fruit your little one enjoys)
1/2 banana
4 strawberries
1/2 cup canteloupe balls

Mix together and enjoy!  If you happen to have some plain or Greek yogurt in your fridge, you can mix in a bit of that, and even some honey might be good.  Mmmm, I think I know what we're having for breakfast tomorrow. 


Just as an aside, Mike and I have decided to make a concerted effort to regain our healthy eating habits, and these two "yums" fit right into that idea.  Good for big people too!

No comments: